Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Crispy Kale

I think I've received a bunch of kale every week in my CSA box and I must say, it gets difficult to find ways to cook it after the eleventy-millionth time! Mommaof4wife2r, who blogs at A Thorn Among Roses agreed when she read my Asian Sauteed Kale recipe (oh noes, I forgot she gave me awards and I never posted about it), that it is hard to find ways to cook Kale.

My CSA newsletter had a recipe called Crispy Kale that looked intriguing. Kale getting crispy? It sounded a bit odd, so I thought I'd try it. But when I went to cook it, I realized I had thrown the newsletter away! Thankfully, I found this recipe when I googled crispy baked kale.

I promised Momma that I'd post the recipe if it was good, and you can probably guess that since there is a post, it was good! It was crispy and crumbly and the taste was unique. The midget had a little bit of trouble chewing this at first, but by the end of the meal, she was gobbling it down. I'd highly recommend you try this, as kale is PACKED with nutrition!

By the way, it is very easy to de-stem kale. I spent a bunch of time cutting out the stems before it dawned on me to just hold the stem in one hand and strip off the leaves with the other! Ziiiiip!













Crispy Baked Kale
measurements really aren't necessary for this recipe, but I will post them for you type A's who won't consider making a recipe without measurements

6-8 cups chopped fresh kale leaves
2 T olive oil
1 t apple cider vinegar
1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place a rack on the lowest setting in your oven. Spread kale out on cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat and spread out on cookie sheet.

Bake in oven for 10 minutes and check. Mine was done in 10 minutes, but you may need to stir and return to the oven until Kale is crispy, another 5-10 minutes, based on the original recipe.

4 comments:

Danyele Easterhaus said...

thank you thank you...i just got a new bunch of kale today from my csa that i wanted a new recipe for! yea carrie!!!

we'll be giving it a try tomorrow for dinner. yummo!

Deanna said...

I kind of put kale in the same category as parsley. Silly me!

Dr. Wifey said...

i'll have to try that
BTW, what is a CSA?

Anonymous said...

PERFECT! I have been trying to fit more kale into our diets and have never seen anything like this, I am going to give it a try. Also just found your website, will add your button to my site!