Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Getting Ready...

Have you missed me? Shoot, I didn't think so...

I've been getting ready for the midget's first birthday! I've invited quite a few people, and to save money, I'm doing a lot of the work myself. I'm making most of the food, I'm baking and decorating the cakes, and I'm doing all the cleaning. drats...I've decided to do it open house style because my house isn't big enough to accomodate even 1/4 of the guest list. So hopefully, not everyone will show up at once.





I found the perfect theme: Diva's First Birthday. To save money, the only thing I've purchased in the theme is a mylar baloon and cake plates. The remainder of the supplies will be hot pink and royal purple. I also ordered a yard of pink leopard print fabric to make a few things like a table runner and maybe a little high chair decoration.

I'll be doing the large cake as a large round, instead of a sheet. I'm still trying to decide whether to use marshmallow fondant or buttercream. I'll be sure to post a photo when I complete the cake. What are your opinions on a smash cake? I'm not sure I want to do one, considering it is an open house. On the other hand, at the last first bday party, everyone gathered in a huge semi-circle and ogled the wee one smashing at the cake. So tell me what your opinion is, because I could use some perspective!!

This weekend is the Fisher-Price Party, so I have lots of cleaning and snack-making to do before Sunday. My posts will probably be a bit spotty for the next two weeks, but I'm sure you'll live (dripping with sarcasm).

9 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

definitely buttercream!

and you should have a smash cake so you can show her pictures one day :)

Aubrey said...

Another vote for buttercream and a small smash cake!

Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about the 1st b-day party. Too exciting!

Deanna said...

Yes you were missed. I just checked your blog and wondered why you still had your winner announcement. I thought you were taunting us or something.

I can't wait to see her photos. A diva party -- perfect!

I always scrape the icing off my cake so I am no help.

Deanna said...

Yes you were missed. I just checked your blog and wondered why you still had your winner announcement. I thought you were taunting us or something.

I can't wait to see her photos. A diva party -- perfect!

I always scrape the icing off my cake so I am no help.

Conservative Belle said...

I vote for buttercream & smash cake.

Also, I looked at that Diva party theme. How in the heck did you resist buying the Princess Throne?

If she was older, the purse pinata was such a cute idea!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

ok...i'm amazed that you can do marshmallow fondant. is that like the real thing? i couldn't do that...well, that goes without saying since you saw my unicorn cake. ha!

so, love the FP party thing...and total congrats on that! i need to see pics! oh yeah!

smash cakes...done it for 3 of the 4...and #4 isn't one year yet. kids are all so different too. one of my kids wouldn't eat it bc it was messy, the other two dove in. let the poor girl get dirtified at her diva party! btw...love it!

Danyele Easterhaus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wep said...

LOVE IT!!! So cute. I would go with the buttercream too. The fondant is pretty but you can't wipe your finger across the cake to steal frosting with it.

And definitely the smash cake. If for nothing else that tiny baby sized cakes are SO CUTE.

Just my 2 cents

Tiffany said...

Great. Now all I can think about is buttercream frosting.