Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Baby Shower Candy Buffet

Last month, I was asked to help with a baby shower and ended up being assigned the favors. I had a very strict $40 budget for 25 invitees but wanted to do something fun and fabulous! Candy Buffets are all the rage right now at weddings and I thought I could pull off a small one for less than the $40 I had allocated.

The first place I looked for jars was on Craigslist and found a TON (28 to be exact) of glass jars listed by one person for $15. They looked pretty good in the pictures and I knew I'd be able to use at least 4-5 of them and hopefully only buy one or two more at thrift stores if I needed to. When I picked them up, I quickly realized I wouldn't need any additional jars.

The Mother-to-be knew she was having a girl, so we decided to go with a pink and purple theme, but I also threw white in the mix for the buffet. I visited a few different candy stores to get ideas of the different kinds of candies that would coordinate, but be inexpensive, and provide visual interest.

Once I got the final count of guests, I set about determining how much candy I would need and chose the jars accordingly. I decided on purple wrapped dark chocolate kisses (on sale with a coupon--YAY), Good-N-Plenty candies, some make your own candy bracelets, and some white chocolate dipped pretzel rods sprinkled with pink and purple sugar (homemade by me). The candy total was just over $12, including little treat bags to wrap each pretzel individually!

I ran across the most darling Baby banner on Tricia Rennea's site, which I printed out on card stock. Then, I found a coordinating thank you card on her site, which I shrunk down and printed out on full sheet label paper I already had to attach to the clear treat bags ($2).

So for just shy of $30, this is what the guests were treated to at the shower!

5 comments:

Brandy said...

Pretty! And economical. I like it!

Several years ago I co-hosted a bridal shower that was all desserts. Delicious...at first and then it was like - ugh. I don't think I'll ever do that again.

Deanna said...

Those are sooo cute! What a great idea for a favor!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing!! Where were you when I had my shower? ;)

Aubrey said...

I can't believe you did allll of that for under $30! You rock!

Katie said...

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for giving instructions (2008!) for making a blogger button.
I have been trying to figure it out for MONTHS and everyone's directions were hard to follow.
NOT YOURS!! I appreciate that SOOO much (being that I am a techno-beginner)
I now have a button and I love it, Thanks to you!