Sunday, November 2, 2008

My Blanket of Belief Quilt


Did you miss me? I purposefully didn't read any blogs while I was quilting. Well, except my political blogs because I needed something to take the edge off of bloggy withdrawal. Here's the reason I was gone for so long!! Now you experienced quilters may look at this simple quilt and laugh your basted bottoms off at how long this thing took me! Go ahead, I'll give you some time.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
I have sewed a few little quilt kits (here and here), but neither were GI-NOCEROUS like this one, nor were they actually true quilts, where you go through the actual process of quilting. So for me, this thing was a BEAST! I had to look up everything past sewing the quilt top together! What the hell is basting, sashing, batting, you ask?? Weeeeeell, I found out last week!

When Conservative Belle issued her challenge, I decided to make my first true quilt. After all, who could be a more deserving recipient of hours of toiling over a sewing machine than a soldier, bravely serving our country overseas?

I had to find a very easy pattern that fit within Soldier's Angels guidelines as far as dimension and theme. I searched and searched and finally found one that fit and was supposed to be easy. It was for "absolute beginners," so I figured I could handle it!

When I went to JoAnn's to buy my material, I brought along my directions because I still had some questions. I went and chose my fabric, but I needed to find someone that could answer my questions before I had them cut it.

I asked at the cutting counter if any of them quilted and the two girls standing there said no. There was another woman behind the counter who was helping someone, so I waited to find out if she quilted. When she was finished with her customers, I was so happy to hear her answer my question with a definitive yes!

I asked some dumb questions, which she happily answered for me. When I told her I was making the quilt for Soldier's Angels, she immediately teared up and said, "I know about Soldier's Angels. I have two sons. One returned from Iraq a few months ago and one is serving there right now. It's things like this quilt that you are making that keep their hopes up, that remind them of why they're fighting, and let me just tell you--you are the angel. Thank you!"

It was such a neat experience! Thanks to Conservative Belle for challenging me!

This is going to be my last sewing project for a while. My house can't take the neglect!!

14 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

beautiful! great job and for such a great cause. i am going to start my "fat quilt" soon, made out of the clothes i have outgrown....i may have questions for you! :)

Suzie said...

Glad you are back. Love the quilt!! Had thoughts of a Halloween party at your house :) when we were in middle school over the weekend. Hope you are doing well.

mommaof4wife2r said...

u did a fab job carrie! great work!

Deanna said...

It turned out gorgeous!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

That is gorgeous. Is there anything that you cannot do? :-)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Super duper quilt!! As an Army wife, let me thank you and agree, you are an angel!!!!! I know your gift is going to be greatly appreciated!!!

HOOAH!

Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're making me cry, Carrie! It is a beautiful quilt, and no one is laughing at you (well, not at your quilt anyway...LOL!). You make us laugh because of your great sense of humor!

High five and now go clean house!

Annikke said...

What a great quilt and a great cause!

Anonymous said...

That is BEAUTIFUL! I am jealous of anyone who knows how to sew anything! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Carrie you did a great job! and take it from one who quilts.. its not easy to just pick it up. If you have any questions I'm always ready to give my opinion :) haha, Thanks for your great gift to our troops!

Brandy said...

The quilt turned out beautiful! I'm impressed.

Christian said...

Very cool, the quilt and the cause. Some soldier will be grateful for all the hardwork you put into it.

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Just by looking at the picture I thought your quilt was pretty, but once I read your story on who you were quilting it for...wow! Absolutely beautiful. You are an angel for thinking of our soldiers and doing something so special for them!

onawa said...

Good job misses! It's very cool!