Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hot Stuff

Yesterday, in addition to massive PMS, I was having some cravings for SPICY food. Is there such a thing as cold flashes?? If so, I guess I was having one.

I decided that I needed some hot & spicy food and started looking for easy recipes that were low-fat, low-cal, and high fiber. Have I told you all how much I love doing Weight Watchers Online? The resources and tracking system are simply amazing!

Both of these recipes were found on Weight Watchers and I'm going to share my modified versions with you! These two recipes certainly spiced things up in my household!


These poppers were AWESOME!! Spicy, cheesy, and super-crunchy!










Crunchy Baked Jalapeno Poppers

Non-stick Cooking spray
1 1/2 oz light cream cheese
1/4 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons fat-free mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
1/2 cup cornflake crumbs

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

In a bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, and mayonnaise; mix well and set aside. Halve jalapenos lengthwise and remove seeds. You may want to wear gloves! Stuff jalapeno halves with cream cheese mixture (about 1 teaspoon per half-pepper).

Place egg substitute in a shallow dish. Place cornflake crumbs in a separate shallow dish. Dip stuffed jalapeno halves into egg substitute and then roll in cornflake crumbs to coat.

Transfer jalapenos to prepared baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.

Bake until filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve hot. Yields 2 poppers per serving. WW Points--3 per serving. Makes 5 servings.



This Chicken Stew is filling and delicious! It wasn't very hot at all--just a nice mild jalapeno flavor in the background. Next time, I'll skip browning the chicken and just let it simmer for the 20-30 minutes at the end and then shred it. That way, even less oil is used and the texture would be better.



Hearty Jalapeno Chicken Stew

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
Non-stick cooking spray
5 baby carrots, sliced
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
15 oz can of cannellini beans
14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes and jalapenos, with juice
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups non-fat chicken broth
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon Cilantro puree (fresh cilantro if you have it)
Plain Nonfat Yogurt (optional)

Instructions

Heat a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add oil and turn to coat. Add chicken and brown on both sides; remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Coat the same pan with cooking spray and sautee carrot and onion until soft. Add remaining ingredients (except the chicken) and stir to combine.

Chop chicken into bite-size pieces and return to pan. Bring to soft boil over medium-high heat; then turn heat down and simmer for 20-30 minutes until flavors have combined well. If desired, serve with 1 teaspoon plain nonfat yogurt. Yields 2 cups per serving. WW Points--5 per serving. Makes 4 servings.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop making me hungry!! ;) The baked jalapeno poppers recipe is great - we love poppers, but the fried smell permeating the kitchen is a bit much.

Aubrey said...

Have you ever met a Mexican that couldn't handle hot & spicy stuff? Well, if not...Hi, my name is Aubrey!
That really does look delish though!

Brandy said...

Yum! Did you get my tweet about the naked wings? They were delicious!

Did someone say SUPER BOWL food?!

Annikke said...

Both of those sound really good! I am printing this page and gonna try those out!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

shut up girl! you need to mail me some poppers! love them!!! betty crocker has gone spicy!

Dr. Wifey said...

those poppers look good and crispy!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

But do they have a recipe for Peanut Butter Buckeyes? Huh?? ;)

Carrie - you're making me hungry girl! At least it's low-fat stuff instead of the fat-exploding PB treats I've been snacking on for TWO DAYS now. Ugh.

LadyStyx said...

The stew looks good. I'd have to make ALOT of adjustments to it though because I cant handle the least little bit of spicy stuff.

Deanna said...

"Talking about some hot stuff..." oh man, I am going to have that song in my head all afternoon and my hubs is home and he might get the wrong idea. ha! ha!

annaliese said...

wow! those poppers sound really yummy--you have inspired me to make them! thank you!

Beth said...

Too hot for this weenie girl.
Sounds uber healthy, though! YAY!!!

xoxo
<3!!

Bar-b said...

making the poppers today!

Wanted to let you know how happy I am that you are up and running again!!!!!!!!!!

Yay Carrie!

Live.Love.Eat said...

OMG girl, those poppers look amazing. I may make those tonight. My girlfriend is coming over to try out a new appetizer I am making but this would be nice to add to the menu.

Jane In The Jungle said...

Yo Girl, that is my kind of food, spicy with a capital S!!

Christy said...

Yummy, I'm bookmarking all of this!!! How cool that Aubrey (comment above) is a follower. I found your blog through a totally different source, but Aubrey and I found each other's blogs a month or so ago. The blog world is a small world. :)