Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The First Harvest!

All I have to say is, "I GREW THIS!!!"













*Crookneck Squash, Cucumber, Purple Kohlrabi, and Radishes*

For those of you who asked what Kohlrabi is--it is my favorite vegetable of all time! It's hard to explain, but it tastes and has the texture of peeled broccoli stem, but just a little bit more cabbage-ey (pretty sure that isn't a word, but it is now because I said so). You can eat it raw or cooked, but my favorite way to eat it is raw, sprinkled with a little salt. YUM!

9 comments:

Brandy said...

Nice harvest! What's your favorite way to cook up the squash? I've been gifted with some over the last few weeks but I'm not in love with it. I'm hoping there is a better way to prepare it.

Dr. Wifey said...

beautiful! never heard of kohlrabi

Amie said...

Go you!!!! =)

LadyStyx said...

What a great first harvest!

Annikke said...

I've never heard of kohlrobi but it sounds like something I would love!

Your harvest looks wonderful!

My husband attempted to grow tomatoes this year.... so far we have ONE. One lonely tomato!!!

CaraBee said...

Wasn't there some song with Kohlrabi in it? I didn't know it was a vegetable, though. Interesting. And well done, you!

Unknown said...

That is awesome! I love kohlrabi, but never seen a purple one before.

Anonymous said...

Every year we all (dh, me, ds#1, ds#2) pick a new veggie to try and grow. This year, coincidentally, ds#2 picked kohlrabi! We've not harvested ours yet though...dh is planting it for the fall as most cabbage type plants do better in the fall here.

Bar-b said...

delicious and impressed!!!!! gosh, you rock. Have missed ya. Be back to a theater near you soon. Thought I'd visit my oldies but goodies first.