Thursday, May 28, 2009

Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pie

Do any of you remember Slow Donnie from Just Shoot Me? Truly, one of the best plot lines on a show--EVER! You can go here to get a refresher--or a HUGE laugh!

Here's a little snippet and what I think of every time I think of Chicken Pot Pie (just click on it--it's FOUR seconds long):


When I started Weight Watchers back in November, I thought I'd need to swear off all comfort food in order to lose the weight (I'm 32.6 lbs lighter today than I was when I started). What I've discovered is that it's easy to make good food. You just have to make different choices and adjust your way of cooking.

By not making a true "pie," you save yourself TONS of calories and fat and you still get all the great taste of a pot pie, complete with flaky pie crust!














Lusciously Lowercal Chicken Pot Pie

1 15 oz package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
Cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 10 1/2 oz cans condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Cut 6 4-inch circles out of dough. Place the circles on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray and sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pierce top of dough with a fork. Bake dough for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.

Combine flour, poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag, and toss to coat. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Stir in chicken broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in vegetables, mushrooms, and soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Spoon 1 cup chicken mixture into bowls; top each serving with 1 piecrust.

Yields 6 Potpies. 7 WW points per pie*

*I am obviously not Weight Watchers endorsed and all points values are estimates. So if you want to sue me because I don't have points values EXACT, you will be wasting your time because I am poor.

11 comments:

Heather said...

DUDE! I *totally* knew the reference from seeing the title of your post in my blog reader!

Looooooooooooooooooooooooove that line, loved that show!!!

Hubby and I say that to each other All. The. Time. Well, when the occasion arises, like when I'm making CPP for dinner.

:D

Annikke said...

Sounds yummy. I love pot pies.

P.S. Even IF I wanted to sue you or someone else, I couldn't afford the legal fees either and I work for an attorney! Hee hee

Dr. Wifey said...

hehe i sang that when i saw the title! i also think of Cartman from South Park saying "NO Kitty, that's my pot pie!"

you are doing so great with WW! i joined online and have not even logged in in 2 months. bleh. i need motivation

Brandy said...

You might be poor but you could pay me in pot pies right?

You're doing AWESOME! You know what I did? Nothing. Not a dang thang on WW. I suck.

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I just caught up on your blog and have to say that I love your new hairdo! Hubba-hubba!! :)

I have an awesome pot-pie recipe but I'm pretty sure it has way more than 7 WW points. I might need to try yours now!

Amie said...

LOL, I'd never seen that before...little stinker Donnie!

Good job on the WW!

I've fallen off the wagon lately. Disneyland, then my parents' visit, then camping, and now COOKIES in the house are making me eat eat eat!!

PS where's the self-portrait?!

CaraBee said...

I loved Just Shoot Me! That was a great episode, too. I've been making a real effort to eat lighter lately. Making a lot of recipes of out Cooking Light. I was skeptical, but so far I haven't felt like I was missing anything.

Congratulations on 32 pounds!! What an achievement!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I am doing WW online. And I love thier recipe builder section. I enter all the recipes...and then I get a points value. Sometimes it is challenging to figure out how many servings there are...but I love that I can find the points on the things that I usually cook.

AngelaCate said...

Yeah, when I read the title to this I laughed out loud because my hubs and I say this every time I make pot pie! Really funny...and a great recipe.

LadyStyx said...

That pot pie looks yummy!

Unknown said...

That pie looks so tasty!!! Great job too- you rock!