Friday, February 6, 2009

Yesterday...

marked an important anniversary for me. February 5th, 2008 was the day I made the decision to quit my job and stay at home with the midget.

I loved my job! I made a handsome salary. I enjoyed dealing with customers (most of them, anyway). I had a handpicked team that did their jobs well. I was constantly challenged. I was an officer of one of the country's largest banks. I had made great friends at my company and was well respected by colleagues. I had made amazing connections with senior managers in a very large bank. And to toot my own horn, I was pretty damned good at my job.

But...

I was not the kind of mom I'd always wanted to be. Midget was spending 11 hours in daycare Monday-Friday. I could only sneak in one pumping session a day, if I was lucky, and I wouldn't be able to continue doing that much longer. When I was at work, all I could think about was how I was neglecting my daughter. When I was at home, all I could think about was how much stuff I had to do at work.

I remember how terrified I was when we first starting talking about me staying at home. Terrified I would go stir-crazy at home. Terrified I wouldn't have any friends. Terrified we were going to be broke. Terrified that I was going to be the one cleaning the house, not the cleaning lady. Terrified that my life was never going to be the same.

I look at my daughter every day and thank the Lord for blessing me with her presence; for allowing me to be her teacher; for bringing my husband and I together to create such a perfect little miracle; for giving us the wisdom to make the right decision about me working.

Here's one shot from each month that I would have missed.

March








April








May








June








July








August








September










October








November










December










January










February

20 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

you are fortunate to be able to stay home with her. i love how you put up a pic of each month, especially February! LOL she has amazing eyes :)

Jen Holt said...

happy anniversary!

annaliese said...

the best job in the world :) great post.

Shelley said...

What a gorgeous child. You are truly blessed to be able to stay home with her.

Unknown said...

I love her baby blues!! Happy anniversary!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

What a wonderful anniversary to celebrate! She is absolutely adorable!

Amie said...

She is so cute; I love her eyelashes! You haven't regretted staying home, have you?

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! I'm getting ready to do a "mommy, come home" series about transitioning from work to home.
May I link to this?

Aubrey said...

Oh, I love them all but October is just the best!

There will always be other jobs...there will only be one her! What a great decision you made. I'm glad it all worked out for you! We are very blessed to be able to do what we do!

Anonymous said...

You made the best decision ever, honey! And you have that cutie-pie's face to remind you every day. :)

Deanna said...

OH, you made me cry! What a sweet post. All of those pics and moments are priceless. Too soon she will go to school and you will be really glad that you have had this time with her.

Lula! said...

I love my job. I'm darn good at it. I know you are, too...

and she's gorgeous. Especially with that guitar.

Annikke said...

Those are definitely moments you don't want to miss. I am fortunate enough to have a flexible job (since I am the bread winner in the family) so I get to spend a lot of time with my kids and do the work thing, BUT let me tell you when the sitter calls and says "she took steps today" or "she smiled today" it broke my heart every time.

The Leiseths said...

Awwwww, sweet post! You're a good mama!!

Ginny Marie said...

I quit a great teaching job in a great district to stay at home when I had my first daughter, and I've never looked back! I love your pictures. What a great year you've had!

LadyStyx said...

They grow up so fast....

Lara said...

She's gorgeous! I love January. Did you make that dress? I need the pattern!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I'd stay home for that face too!!!!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Totally worth it! I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home on my own schedule. But if not, I'd rather be poor and with my kids. There will be plenty of time for work when they hate your guts or embarrassed by you:-) Not that MY kids will ever be embarrassed of me, because I'm so cool... I'm just saying...

Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship said...

I really honor the "giving up" of the job - well done on a great decision!