Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Car Playmat



I saw this car playmat over a year ago and saved it to my favorites, knowing at some time, I would want to make it. My friend's little boy turned three this month, and seeing his obsession with his cars made it the perfect gift for him!

What is with me and finishing early?? I finished this project fairly early in the evening the night before the party. It completely threw me off my game and I forgot to take pictures of the completed carmat. Then the next day at the party, I left my camera at home and had to have the hostess of the party take pictures of the playmat for me. Thankfully, she wasn't too irritated at me. Well, she didn't say she was...

I actually think the most difficult part of making this playmat was finding cotton car fabric!! What on earth?? I looked all over the internet for fun fabric, scoured JoAnn Fabrics and Hobby Lobby and all I could find was too nursery-like or licensed Cars fabric. I finally settled for flannel, since it was all I could find in brighter colors, though I'm sure my friend will be thanked by the waitress at every restaurant they visit because that flannel will most likely pick up every crumb on their table...

I had some help from two different fabulous Aussies making this project. The original link has great pictures, but is not very specific with measurements. Thankfully, cookyousomenoodles posted some estimated measurements that were SUPER helpful!! Created by Cathy drew out some templates for each of the four sections that were also very helpful. You will just need to email her for the templates. I was feeling lazy and used the templates more for sizing purposes and didn't cut out the templates and then pin and cut the corresponding felt out. It would have looked much neater, I'm sure, but I think it still turned out pretty good!

5 comments:

Deanna said...

You are so creative and talented. Love this!

Unknown said...

Such a great idea! You did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, thank you for the mention. Glad I was able to help with the measurements. Your one turned out great.

-Mariane

Unknown said...

I found your blog through a post that you wrote three years ago about blog buttons.

I visited 5 other sites for info on how to do it and yours was the only one that worked.

I have just been reading through some of your posts and find that they're all as easy to read as the blog button one was.

Hence I'll be back and thank you for your clear and easy to read instructions.

Cheers, Fi

Annikke said...

That looks great! I love looking at your projects! I bet the little car-loving-boy will use it often!